I am a through-and-through geek who can communicate well with
fellow developers as well as non-technical teammates.
I come from a user-centered background: people must use and embrace a solution for it
to be a success, regardless of its technical elegance.
I build amazing technology solutions, from Arduino-powered holiday lights to shiny
reports that delight recipients with an easy-to-understand, but rich, user
I believe that Agile and DevOps practices provide value and increased success in most
development projects and help my teams implement these techniques.
Cambria, Eden Prairie,
- Assisted teams with transition to Agile and DevOps development
- Built responsive web applications for 24/7 manufacturing facilities,
enabling significant operational efficiencies, reduced downtime, and
increased product quality.
- Practiced value-driven Agile development building full stack solutions
with a microservice, message-queue back end.
- Maintained and updated legacy applications.
- Integrated systems with Oracle EBS.
- Utilized MS-SQL, MySQL, Oracle, Snowflake, and other data stores.
- Designed, built, & maintained customer-facing web application with
over 60 terabytes of image files.
- Provided mission-critical dashboard capabilities to manufacturing
- Led teams of developers including off-shore, entry-level, and
- Mentored intern teams for various facets of software development.
- Built an open-source multi-tenant responsive website.
- Implemented performance enhancements to achieve Lighthouse scores
greater than 90%.
- Enhanced site with localization.
- Architected site to be a secure multi-tenant solution.
- Transitioned site between cloud providers using different hosting
models with no downtime.
- Implemented local container development process supporting production
data restores, which enabled accurate, fast bug reproduction.
Occam Group, Minneapolis,
- Led technical track of client engagements for Occam, a Microsoft Gold
Certified Partner, focusing on hosted solutions.
- Architected and produced Software as a Service
solutions utilizing private hosting as well as cloud Infrastructure as a
Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service
- Executed development projects supporting all aspects of enterprise project
management, from project intake to billing export, including business
intelligence solutions. Development teams ranged
from single developer to coordinated off-shore and local developers.
- Led successful initiatives to increase our "Joel Score" and then beyond:
DVCS, automated builds and tests, better
tools, SonarQube automated analytics.
- Grew application hosting several orders of magnitude. This included both
web and remote application (RDC)
Self-Employed, Chicago, Illinois
- Built IT infrastructure for several small companies and home offices.
- Implemented Windows Small Business Server.
- Set up shared network resources for non-technical users, including
AFP and SMB file servers.
- Migrated Windows domains into Active Directory structure.
- Implemented Wi-Fi networks.
- Provided training for new networking features to small-business owners.
Doblin, Chicago, Illinois
Lotus Notes Java
Windows Forms Windows
MacOS Web Dev
- Co-authored firm’s IT strategy for adopting new technology, expanding
staff, and adding locations.
- Developed internal and public-facing solutions for research-driven
design company including an award-winning web-based card sort to aid
in consumer-research data collection and analysis as well as a
multi-dimensional clustering visualization tool.
- Consulted on client cases as an Information Technology Specialist.
- Developed database analysis and maintenance tools, with emphasis on
ease of use for a non-technical audience.
- Supervised and trained Level 1 support staff.
- Administered network including VPN and multiple LANs. This included
DNS, and Active Directory.
- Managed network and phone contracts. Reduced recurring costs more than
70 percent while increasing functionality.
Systems Engineer / Technical Account Manager
ADP — Brokerage Information Services Group
LAN Windows NT
- Maintained mission-critical market quote systems at more than 12
locations and a T-1 WAN.
- Handled system emergencies: managing client relations, providing
explanations, diagnosing and repairing issues.
- Supported sales staff by sharing product expertise and developing
Technical Supervisor for Sites
University of Chicago — Networking Services
- Supervised software and hardware maintenance, security, installation,
and improvement of more than 100 networked computers (Macintosh,
DOS/Windows, and Unix) in four high-use, high-visibility public
- Administrated networks (IP and AppleTalk) with direct internet
Technical Computing Assistant
University of Chicago — Academic Information