I am a through-and-through geek who can communicate well with fellow developers as well as non-technical teammates.
I come from a user-centered background: people must use and embrace a solution for it to be a success, regardless of its technical elegance.
I build amazing technology solutions, from Arduino-powered holiday lights to shiny reports that delight recipients with an easy-to-understand, but rich, user interface.
I believe that Agile and DevOps practices provide value and increased success in most development projects and help my teams implement these techniques.
Cambria, Eden Prairie, Minnesota
- Assisted teams with transition to Agile and DevOps development practices.
- Built responsive web applications for 24/7 manufacturing facilities, enabling
significant operational efficiencies, reduced downtime, and increased product quality.
- Practiced value-driven Agile development building full stack solutions with
a microservice, message-queue back end.
- Maintained and updated legacy applications.
- Integrated systems with Oracle EBS.
- Utilized MS-SQL, MySQL, Oracle, Snowflake, and other data stores.
- Designed, built, & maintained customer-facing web application with over 60
terabytes of image files.
- Provided mission-critical dashboard capabilities to manufacturing and sales.
- Led teams of developers including off-shore, entry-level, and experienced staff.
- Mentored intern teams for various facets of software development.
Architect & Developer
- Built an open-source multi-tenant responsive website.
- Implemented performance enhancements to achieve Lighthouse scores greater than 90%.
- Enhanced site with localization.
- Architected site to be a secure multi-tenant solution.
- Transitioned site between cloud providers using different hosting models with no downtime.
- Implemented local container development process supporting production data restores,
which enabled accurate, fast bug reproduction.
- Currently building mobile applications (iOS and Android) to support voice recognition and
improve user experience with Xamarin Forms.
Occam Group, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Led technical track of client engagements for Occam, a Microsoft Gold
Certified Partner, focusing on hosted solutions.
- Architected and produced Software as a Service (SaaS)
solutions utilizing private hosting as well as cloud Infrastructure as a
Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS).
- Executed development projects supporting all aspects of enterprise project
management, from project intake to billing export, including business
intelligence solutions. Development teams ranged
from single developer to coordinated off-shore and local developers.
- Led successful initiatives to increase our "Joel Score" and then beyond:
DVCS, automated builds and tests, better tools, SonarQube
- Grew application hosting several orders of magnitude. This included both web and
remote application (RDC) access.
Self-Employed, Chicago, Illinois
- Built IT infrastructure for several small companies and home offices.
- Implemented Windows Small Business Server.
- Set up shared network resources for non-technical users, including AFP and SMB
- Migrated Windows domains into Active Directory structure.
- Implemented Wi-Fi networks.
- Provided training for new networking features to small-business owners.
Doblin, Chicago, Illinois
Lotus Notes Java Windows Forms Windows MFC C++ MacOS Web Dev Network
- Co-authored firm’s IT strategy for adopting new technology, expanding
staff, and adding locations.
- Developed internal and public-facing solutions for research-driven design company
including an award-winning web-based card sort to aid in consumer-research data
collection and analysis as well as a multi-dimensional clustering visualization tool.
- Consulted on client cases as an Information Technology Specialist.
- Developed database analysis and maintenance tools, with emphasis on ease of use
for a non-technical audience.
- Supervised and trained Level 1 support staff.
- Administered network including VPN and multiple LANs. This included fileservers, DHCP, DNS, and Active Directory.
- Managed network and phone contracts. Reduced recurring costs more than
70 percent while increasing functionality.
Systems Engineer / Technical Account Manager
ADP — Brokerage Information Services Group Chicago, Illinois
LAN Windows NT
- Maintained mission-critical market quote systems at more than 12 locations and a T-1 WAN.
- Handled system emergencies: managing client relations, providing explanations, diagnosing and repairing issues.
- Supported sales staff by sharing product expertise and developing proposals.
Technical Supervisor for Sites
University of Chicago — Networking Services
- Supervised software and hardware maintenance, security, installation, and improvement of more than 100 networked computers (Macintosh, DOS/Windows, and Unix) in four high-use, high-visibility public sites.
- Administrated networks (IP and AppleTalk) with direct internet connection.
Technical Computing Assistant
University of Chicago — Academic Information Technologies